Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Boise, ID

The drive across Oregon was a spectacle. As the road gained elevation (The Truck had a workout yesterday), all of the green was replaced by blonde. Bluffs and cliffs appeared everywhere, and eventually I found myself in agriculture territory.

The last twenty miles of Oregon smelled like onions.

The first fifty miles of Idaho smelled like manure.

I got to Boise and figured I'd get a hotel room for the night. Boise, the town that closes at 9:30, was full, thanks to some popular golfers (Hah! Popular golfers!) coming to town for something or other. I finally found a room in a downtown hotel, and walked around for a few hours to see if there were any restaurants -- all closed, including McFood. At 9:30 (and yes, I changed to Mountain Time).

Some bars were open, and showed that segregation is practiced here -- patrons at some bars looked more like Portlanders. The remainder of the bars had patrons with straw cowboy hats.

And odd, I've seen no non-white humans since I hit the Idaho border.

Anyway, off to Yellowstone, and I doubt I'll have connectivity for the next couple of days....

1 Comments:

Blogger Miller said...

I'm also changing my middle name to "Wayne."

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home