Friday, November 18, 2005

On leaving Tucson

I've received a brainful here in Tucson from a microclique I met through the internet friend, XV.

It would be too difficult to describe any of them without violating their privacy, so I won't try, other than to say they're all very creative and bright and filled my brain in a way that I haven't seen since Portland and, before that, Someplace Else.

It seems like Tucson would be a great place for me if not for the lack of industry. But beyond that, I have the feeling that the places and people I've enjoyed are a minority here. It's like I landed in a tiny illuminated crack in an otherwise dull, mud-covered, insignificant sidewalk.

I haven't finalized my plans for the return, but I'm pretty sure I'll leave tomorrow for the south side of the Grand Canyon. I'm trying to find a good way to get to Portland without actually driving across California, but it's either California or the barrens of Nevada. If I take the Pacific Coast, I'll have to go through LA, which scares the living shit out of me as a driver. But I want to camp in the Redwoods, I think. I'll make up my mind under the stars at the Canyon. I suspect I'll stay there two nights and start my way back to PDX.

I'm a little disappoined that it's coming to an end. Just a couple thousand miles and it's all done. I have to fill in forms, request employment, become diplomatic and self-censoring, wake up and fall asleep on a schedule, fill in more forms, spend money, save money, worry about taxes and people around me. It's been nearly 9 months since I've had to worry about any of that. At least, after this trip, I'll have more to daydream about while going through the day-to-day doldrums of industry.

I doubt the Grand Canyon will have Wi-Fi. I'll be back in a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home